Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Perfect Batter... I Mean, Matter

Is there such thing as perfect matter? I know there's perfect gas and nearly perfect liquid, but what about an ideal solid?

It's nothing to do with thermal this or intermolecular that, but the ability to be really useful and delicious in virtually any state of being, condition, location, time, thought or will.

Kind of like a cupcake.

The thought hit me this afternoon when I spied the frozen cupcakes I stored from my last Main Street visit (for Run Cupcake Run). As I bit off a chunk of frosting from a pumpkin spice treat, I tried to think of a state in which cupcakes just aren't good.

Right out of the oven: warm and gooey good.

Room temperature: just about perfect good.

Out a few days too long: hard enough to use as a weapon good.

And frozen: awesomely delicious good.

You can thaw the things half way or only cook them partially through, and somehow the mixture of sugar, butter and childhood memories makes the moment wonderful. They can be homemade, store-bought, cheap box, Sprinkles, professionally sculpted or perfectly baked and still make you smile.

If that's not perfect, I don't know what is.

And, as I sunk my teeth into a frozen chunk of caramel butter creme (from a perfectly autumnal caramel apple cupcake), it dawned on me that I might be a touch too obsessed with baked goods. But wait until you hear how I feel about ninjas.

No comments: